Thousands across New Jersey and New York have been devastated by the impact of tropical storm Ida.  If you've been affected, here are a variety of agencies and organizations providing assistance to Ida victims.


New Jersey Offices
Northern New Jersey: (973) 797-3300
Central NJ Jersey (732) 493-9100
Phillipsburg: (201) 832-9953

New York Offices
American Red Cross - Greater New York:  (877) 733-2767
American Red Cross - Metro NY North: (203) 869-8444


New York City Area: Food Bank for New York City

Northern New Jersey: Community Food Bank of New Jersey

Monmouth and Ocean Counties: Fulfill NJ


Catholic Charities of Trenton: 1-800-360-7711
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark: 973-596-4100
Catholic Charities of Paterson: (973) 737-2077,
Catholic Charities Archdiocese of NY: (888) 744-7900
Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens: (718) 722-6001
Catholic Charities of Staten Island: (718) 984-1500


NY Department of Financial Services Disaster Hotline helps with insurance-related issues: 800-339-1759

NJ Department of Financial Services: 1-800-446-7467

FEMA Disaster Assistance: 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362)


If you need someone to talk to:

In New Jersey, residents can contact NJ Mental Health Cares at 1-866-202-HELP (4357) for free, confidential support. The service is offered through NJ Human Services’ Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services and the Mental Health Association of New Jersey (MHANJ).

New York, residents can call the NY Project Hope Emotional Support Helpline at 1-844-863-9314.  The call is free, confidential and offered as part of the FEMA response to COVID-19.






September 15, 2021

State News Desk: (609) 882-2000 x 3004 FEMA News Desk: (202) 717-1431 or (202) 702-7595

DRCs to Open in Somerset and Union Counties

Trenton, NJ – Disaster Recovery Centers will open tomorrow in Somerset and Union counties tomorrow to help residents in New Jersey affected by the remnants of Hurricane Ida. The DRCs in Bergen, Hunterdon and Mercer counties opened earlier this week. Locations and hours are below.

Representatives from FEMA and U.S. Small Business Administration are available at these centers to explain disaster assistance programs, answer questions about written correspondence and provide literature about repairs and rebuilding to make homes more disaster resistant.

Individuals in Bergen, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Somerset and Union counties are eligible to apply for disaster assistance.

Residents who previously registered for assistance do not need to visit the DRC. However, when visiting a DRC they can ask questions or seek further information in person, in addition to online or by phone. Survivors can visit any of the DRC locations and find their closest location through the FEMA App. To download the FEMA App please visit the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

Somerset County:

North End Volunteer Fire Company #3, 169 North 8th Ave., Manville 08835

Open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; and 8 – 6 p.m. Sunday

Union County:

Elizabeth O’Donnell Dempsey Senior Community Center, 618 Salem Ave., Elizabeth 07208

Open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday; and 8 – 5 p.m. Sunday

Additional centers are in the following locations:

Hunterdon County:

Union Fire Company #1, 230 N. Main St., Lambertville 08530

Open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

Bergen County:

Ciarco Learning Center, 355 Main St., Hackensack 07652

Open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Saturday; Closed Sundays

Gloucester County:

Mullica Hill Library, 389 Wolfert Station Road, Mullica Hill 08062

Open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday; and 1 – 5 p.m. Sunday

Mercer County:

Hollowbrook Community Center, 320 Hollowbrook Drive, Trenton 08638

Open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

Middlesex County:

Middlesex Fire Academy, 1001 Fire Academy Drive, Cafeteria B, Sayreville 08872

Open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

Passaic County:

Civic Center, 19 Warren St., Little Falls 07424

Open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 4 p .m. Saturday and Sunday

FEMA and NJOEM are committed to providing equitable service in each of the designated counties. Additional centers will be opening soon to support survivors.

If you have homeowners or renters insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If you are uninsured or underinsured, you may be eligible for federal assistance. The fastest and easiest way to apply is by visiting or via the FEMA App available to download on the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.

If it is not possible to apply online, call 800-621-3362. If you use a Relay service, such as a videophone, InnoCaption, or CapTel, give FEMA the number for that service.

When you apply for assistance, have the following information readily available:

§ A current phone number where you can be contacted

§ Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying

§ Your Social Security number, if available

§ A general list of damage and losses

§ If insured, the policy number or the agent and/or the company name

Disaster assistance may include financial help for temporary lodging and home repairs along with other programs to assist families recover from the effects of the event. For the latest information visit Follow the FEMA Region 2 Twitter account at



Question: I am a renter: can I apply for assistance with FEMA?

Answer: Yes, renters may apply for disaster assistance with FEMA. If you have renter’s insurance, you should call your insurance provider to file a claim. If you are insured, you must provide information from your insurance which may include a settlement or denial.

Question: As a renter, what types of help could I be eligible for?

Answer: FEMA may provide financial assistance to pre-disaster renters to rent alternate temporary housing if they are displaced from their primary residence . Rental Assistance is intended to cover the monthly rent amount (including lot rent, if applicable) and cost of essential utilities (i.e., gas, electric, water, oil, trash, and sewer), excluding telephone, cable, TV, or internet service for the housing unit.

Question: Can I use my rental assistance grant to stay in a hotel/motel?

Answer: The funds can be used to stay in another temporary place to live, which includes a hotel/motel. FEMA awards eligible applicants initial Rental Assistance based on the Fair Market Rent (FMR) where the pre-disaster residence is located and the number of bedrooms the household requires.

Question: I have been staying in a hotel and paying for it myself, can I get reimbursed for the costs?

Answer: FEMA may provide lodging expense reimbursement for applicants who incur out-of-pocket temporary lodging expenses due to damage that affects the habitability of their primary residence. Eligible lodging expenses may include the cost of the room and taxes charged by a hotel or other lodging provider..

Question: My personal property was damaged, is there financial help available for my losses?

Answer: Applicants who do not qualify for a loan from the SBA may be eligible for assistance for the SBA-dependent category. SBA-dependent ONA includes Personal Property Assistance,

Renters may also qualify for assistance for essential personal property and other disaster-related expenses. These may include replacement or repair of necessary personal property, such as furniture, appliances, clothing, textbooks or school supplies; replacement or repair of tools and other job-related equipment; vehicle repair; and medical/dental bills.

Question: Does help from FEMA have to be paid back?

Answer: No. FEMA Assistance is a grants, and don’t have to be repaid. They are not taxable income and won’t affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits.

Question: How do I apply for FEMA assistance?

Answer: Survivors with disaster related damages, in counties designated for Individual Assistance can apply with FEMA for assistance, online at by using the FEMA mobile app or by telephone at 1-800-621-3362. If you use a relay service, such as a videophone, InnoCaption, or CapTel, give FEMA the number for that service.


Usted preguntó: Soy inquilino, ¿puedo obtener ayuda de FEMA?

Los inquilinos en los condados Bergen, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Somerset y Union que sufrieron daños, pérdidas o están imposibilitados de vivir en sus viviendas luego del huracán Ida, pueden ser elegibles para asistencia por desastre de FEMA y de la Agencia Federal para el Desarrollo de la Pequeña Empresa (SBA, por sus siglas en inglés).

Pregunta: Soy inquilino; ¿puedo solicitar asistencia de FEMA?

Respuesta: Sí, los inquilinos pueden solicitar asistencia por desastre de FEMA. Si tiene un seguro de inquilino, debe llamar a su proveedor de seguros para presentar una reclamación. Si está asegurado, debe proporcionar información de su seguro, que puede incluir un acuerdo o denegación.

Pregunta: Como inquilino, ¿para qué tipos de ayuda podría ser elegible?

Respuesta: FEMA puede proveer asistencia económica de alquiler a quienes eran inquilinos antes del desastre para alquilar una vivienda alterna temporal si son desplazados de su vivienda principal. La asistencia de alquiler pueden utilizarse para cubrir los gastos mensuales de alquiler (incluyendo alquiler del lote, si aplica) y el costo de los servicios públicos esenciales, como gas, electricidad, agua, gasolina, recogido de basura y tuberías. La asistencia excluye facturas de teléfono, cable, televisión o de servicio de internet para la unidad de vivienda.

Pregunta: ¿Puedo usar mi subvención de asistencia de alquiler para quedarme en un hotel o motel?

Respuesta: Los fondos se pueden utilizar para alojarse temporalmente en otro lugar, incluyendo un hotel o motel. FEMA otorga a los solicitantes elegibles asistencia de alquiler inicial equivalente a la Tarifa Justa del Mercado (FMR, por sus siglas en inglés) para el área en la que se encuentra la vivienda antes del desastre y la cantidad de habitaciones que la familia requiere.

Pregunta: Me he alojado en un hotel y lo he pagado yo mismo, ¿puedo obtener un reembolso por los gastos?

Respuesta: FEMA puede proveer reembolso de gastos de alojamiento a solicitantes que incurran en gastos de alojamiento de su propio bolsillo a causa de daños que afecten la habitabilidad de su residencia principal. Los gastos elegibles pueden incluir el costo de la habitación y los impuestos cobrados por un hotel u otro proveedor de alojamiento.

Pregunta: Mi propiedad personal sufrió daños, ¿hay ayuda económica disponible para mis pérdidas?

Respuesta: Los solicitantes que no cualifiquen para un préstamo de SBA pueden ser elegibles para asistencia en la categoría sujeta a elegibilidad de SBA. La asistencia para otras necesidades (ONA, por sus siglas en inglés) sujeta a elegibilidad de SBA incluye asistencia para propiedad personal.

Los inquilinos también pueden cualificar para recibir asistencia para la propiedad personal esencial y otros gastos relacionados con el desastre. Estos pueden incluir la sustitución o reparación de bienes personales necesarios, como muebles, electrodomésticos, ropa, libros de texto o materiales escolares; el reemplazo o reparación de herramientas y otro equipo relacionado con el trabajo; la reparación de vehículos; y las facturas médicas/dentales.

Pregunta: ¿Hay que devolver la ayuda de FEMA?

Respuesta: No. Las ayudas de FEMA son subvenciones y no tienen que reembolsarse. No son ingresos tributables y no afectarán la elegibilidad para los beneficios del Seguro Social, Medicare, Medicaid o del Programa de Asistencia Nutricional Suplementaria (SNAP, por sus siglas en inglés).

Pregunta: ¿Cómo solicito la asistencia de FEMA?

Respuesta: Los sobrevivientes que sufrieron daños por el desastre en los condados designados para Asistencia Individual pueden solicitar asistencia de FEMA en línea en, utilizando la aplicación móvil de FEMA o por teléfono al 1-800-621-3362. Las personas que usan un servicio de retransmisión, como un videoteléfono, InnoCaption o CapTel, deben indicarle a FEMA su número específico asignado a ese servicio.